Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Let's go back a few years.......

According to my daughter's pediatrician she knew that there was something not quite right about my then nine month old bundle of joy. I believed that I had a child prodigy on my hands because she walked at nine months, had a vast vocabulary at 10 months and was talking in complete sentences by one. I was thrilled because my first born (in my eyes) was something to bragg about, and all the while her doctor knew something wasn't right. Jaylyn continued to stay in the top 90% of her age group, she continued to amaze me with her smartness and ability to recall events that I couldn't even remember. She had more energy than I could handle and became bored VERY EASILY! She loved Elmo, food, spinning in circles and heights??? Okay, mabye that should have been my first clue but I just thought my child was fearless. She LOVED to climb to the highest spot that i would let her get away with and then JUMP! She had no concept of fear or danger (she would laugh and want to do it all over again.) She still has that same concept today! She loved music but absolutely HATED the sound of flushing toilets! Okay.....red flag number 2. She would go into hysterics if she heard a toilet flush....could you imagine my dilema when it came to public restrooms??? It was flush and get her the hell out ASAP! She loved to sing and again HATED when people would sing the happy birthday song.....Clue number 3!!!! Try explaining to a bunch of parents why your daughter crys and screams and then hides under the table when we try to sing her happy birthday! For about 4 years we just told everyone she was very shy. We finally came to our senses and have banned the happy birthday song at her parties. This past year she just blew out candles and we clapped. So time goes on and she gets older and much more peculiar. She loves rocks! Any kind of rock, she has enough rocks in her room right now to open up her very own rock quarry. She became very finicky from her food ( and this is a child who walked for a popsicle!) all the way down to the seam at the toe of her socks! God forbid that damn seam was not sitting perfectly in a straight line across her toes! Then it was her shoes...for the longest time she only had one pair of shoes in her closet ( not because I didn't buy her all those cute girly shoes) It had to be the kind that had one velcro stap coming across her foot and she would test it every morning by walking on her tippy toes and if the strap came off she would GO OFF! Can't you just imagine what it was like trying to get her ready for school in the morning!! My morning routine consisted of First, my coffee and then my Prozac!! Then if that was not enough she would only wear certain types of clothes, certain materials of clothing and it had to fit a certain way. I had to start buying clothes that had no tags or either I cut them out of her shirts because she wouldn't wear it. And YES, I tried that " you will wear what I tell you to wear" approach but have you ever tried dressing a corpse?? That was what it was like.....she would become stiff as a board or completely limp...I felt like that mom on A Christmas Story who was dressing the youngest in his snow suit before school. So by now I know that there is much more going on in my daughter's beautiful little head of her's but what I didn't know was that this was only the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.